THE MAN WHO KNEW 75 LANGUAGES will be screened at the opening day!
Flip Book: The Revolutionary Animations of 21th Century
Exhibition Dates : 2018. 5. 18 ~ 8. 12
Exhibition Venue: Ilmin Museum of Art, Seoul, Korea
Host and Supervised by Ilmin Museum of Art
The Number of Participating Artists : 20 directors and visual artists, designer, etc.
1) To explore the possibility of expanding Animation as an artistic genre which has not
been fully acknowledged in the contemporary art scene.
2) To introduce the Korean audience to internationally renowned independent animators
and directors who have, as opposed to commercial animation, expanded the field
through collaboration with various artistic fields including art, documentary, design and
music, and promote interaction in regard to the connections with contemporary art.
3) To analyze how the ‘handicraft’ or ‘storytelling’ of traditional animation, which are
being emphasized again in the digital environment of 3-d, 4-d, film, web toons, game,
and VR, have influence the field of contemporary art.
Project Specifics: Collaboration, Handicraft in the age of post-production.
- By presenting the production processes of international ‘animation auteurs’, the
importance of collaboration and handicraft in the production of digital animation will be
- Korean master directors such as Lee Sung Gang, Oh Sung Yoon, Japanese master
directors Sawako Kabuki, Yoko Kuno, Arai Fuyu, and directors of documentary animation
such as Anca Damian, Leanne Pooley, Katrin Rothe, Anne Magnussen, the representative
work of various contemporary animators from commercial animation to experimental will
be exhibited as well as the process of production focused on the collaboration with
various areas such as visual art, music, and advertising.